The results of the 2016 Associate Opinion Survey are in, and they show
great progress toward Mary Washington Healthcare’s strategic priority
of becoming one of
Modern Healthcare magazine’s “Best Places to Work.”
This survey had its highest participation ever with 88% of Associates taking
the survey – far above the national average of 74% – and over
215 work units achieving 100% participation. The confidential survey is
administered every year and helps the health system better understand
what it is doing well and where there is room for improvement.
Highlights of the 2016 survey include:
An Associate engagement score of 4.04 out of 5. This moved the organization
from the 6th percentile to the 43rd percentile, a move that was described as a “breakthrough performance”
by the survey company.
Some of the biggest improvements were seen in the scores for these statements:
- My pay is fair compared to other healthcare employers in this area.
- I am satisfied with my job security.
- This organization treats Associates with respect.
Seventeen items on the survey scored above the national average with the
top five being:
- My manager cares about job satisfaction.
- My manager is a good communicator.
- My manager treats Associates with respect.
- There is a climate of trust within my work unit.
- Fairness of pay.
With survey results in hand, Mary Washington Healthcare leaders have been
called upon to develop action plans for areas of improvement. One initiative
already in the works is a “Dine and Discuss” series where
members of the senior executive team ask for Associate feedback on some
key drivers of engagement.