Volunteer at Mary Washington Healthcare
Make a Difference in the Lives of Our Patients and Their Families
Volunteers at Mary Washington Healthcare (MWHC) make a difference in the
lives of our patients and their families every day. Our volunteers are
a diverse, compassionate group of individuals who generously give thousands
of hours each year with a common goal of supporting the health system
in its mission to improve the health of the people in the communities
we serve. Volunteers may choose to serve at Mary Washington Hospital,
Stafford Hospital, or both!
Colleen and Bert, Stroke Connect Volunteers in action.
What Do Volunteers Do?
- Provide compassion and comfort to patients and their families
- Escort patients and visitors to their destinations
- Support staff with non-clinical tasks on nursing units
- Assist staff with general office duties
- Act as a resource to patients, families, guests, and staff
What Are the Rewards for Volunteering at Mary Washington Healthcare?
- The satisfaction of doing something for others
- The opportunity to share your skills and learn new ones
- Making a difference by serving our community
- The enjoyment of making new friends and having fun!
What are the Requirements to Volunteer?
- Be 18 years or older (see Junior Volunteer below for ages 14-17)
- Commit to a minimum of one shift per week for at least six months of continuous service
- Be in good general physical and mental health
- Have no criminal record
- Complete the appropriate volunteer application (links below)
- Interview with a member of the Volunteer Services staff
- Attend a group orientation session
MWHC’s service-based volunteer program helps meet the needs of patients,
patient families, and staff. It is not a job-training program, an internship,
nor does it provide medical shadowing. We do not accept court-ordered
Is your group interested in doing a service project to support patients
in one of our facilities? Our primary concern is for the privacy, health,
and comfort of our patients, so we ask that you first contact Volunteer
Services to talk through how your group can best support our charitable mission.
Download a list of ideas for service projects and care packages.
Mary Washington Hospital Volunteer Services Office - 540.741.1440
Stafford Hospital Volunteer Services Office - 540.741.9660
Click on the appropriate link below to learn more about volunteering and
to complete an application.