Wine Selections at Grapes in the Garden
2014 Chardonnay - The yellow green hue of this elegant stainless steel and American oak-aged
wine first catches your eye. The creamy rich, nutty aromas of apple blossom
and pear leap from the glass and give a hint of the taste of butter, citrus
and grapefruit laced with slight minerality on the palate. The balanced
tannins and dryness of this wine make it excellent for pairing with Chesapeake
seafood such as oysters (both raw and roasted) and rockfish. Its lingering
finish allows one to savor the flavor of shrimp scampi or a citrus cooked chicken.
2015 Chardonnay Reserve - Barrel fermented in American Oak with additional malolactic fermentation
to add a long, buttery finish, this is a special Chardonnay with a strong
sense of fruit on the nose, including apple, pear and citrus. On the palate
it is flinty with notes of tropical fruit, hazel nut and plenty of oak.
Medium bodied with a golden hue, this wine pairs well with nutty cheeses,
creamy pasta, pork and, especially, seafood dishes of shrimp, crab and
2015 Viognier - Delicate fruit aromas of apple, pear and citrus with subtle notes of
orange blossom, guava and herbs. A golden wheat-colored wine of medium
body, it has a soft, crisp acidity with a rich mouth feel. Expect flavors
of apple & pear, pink grapefruit, minerality and white stone fruit
over layered with notes of honeysuckle, guava and mango. Serve with seafood,
soft flavored cheeses and poultry. To preserve the delicate nose and flavors
of this wine, do not over chill.
2016 White Merlot - A rare white made from 90% Merlot, 5% Viognier, and 5% Chardonel in
the European Vin Gris style, offering an answer to the question of what
to pair with dishes such as crab cakes, Crab Imperial, or any dish with
a white or Alfredo sauce. Its pale color embodies a bouquet of fruit,
apricot and white peach. A silky smooth fruity taste, a balance of citrus
and stone fruits, is supported by balanced tannins and an off dryness
(1% residual sugar). The moderate finish allows for a wonderful blending
of the tastes of this White Merlot and seafood.
2014 Merlot - A silky smooth wine with flavors of soft, dark cherry and tobacco, this
dark violet Merlot was aged ten months in French oak, giving it rich aromas
of oak, cedar and a hint of cloves on the back end. A wine for hearty
beef, smoked meats or sharp cheeses, it goes extremely well with wild
game such as venison and wild turkey. Moderate tannins and a lingering
finish are definite assets to this wine. Cellar friendly, it can definitely
be aged to enhance its already balanced taste.
2014 Sangiovese - This dry, earthy wine with a mellow smokiness was aged on French oak and
cries out to be paired with heavy Italian meals, barbecue or hearty game
dishes like venison. With a garnet hue, the rich bouquet offers aromas
of leather and a smoky earthiness. The oak balance and smooth tannins
support the taste of dark cherry and leather leaving a smooth, lingering
finish. This wine is a Classico Chianti old world style wine!
Caret Sunset - Comprised of 67% Sangiovese, 28% Vidal Blanc and 5% Chardonel, this
wine shows the flaming red color of a sunset at Caret and exhibits an
off-dry sweetness along with the tartness of black cherries. With its
lingering finish it is an excellent aperitif for pairing with cheesecake,
cannolis, or Tiramisu. Try it while relaxing on the patio and watching
the sunset in the evening.
Viogner - Exotic honey and tropical fruit aromas jump from the glass. Full bodied,
viscous mouth feel. 95% Viognier, 5% Roussanne
Rkatsiteli - Still very rare in the U.S. but one of our most popular wines, Rkatsiteli
produces an aromatic white wine redolent of orange zest and honeysuckle.
A very rare wine for the wine afficionado. Just say
White Eclipse - Sweet Sippin' White - Floral notes of apricots and pears with a
citrus fruit finish. Wine for "good times!"
Cotes d’Orange - New world offering of a traditional Rhone style wine meets South Africa
in Virginia using 55% Syrah, 29% Pinotage, 16% Mourvedre. A smooth and
spicy red with a nose of candied horseradish and dried orange peel. Juicy
Cabernet Franc - This wine was 100% steel fermented and then barrel aged (new and once
used American & French oak) for 8 months. Aromas of violets and tar
combine with spicy oak flavors in this robust wine. Horton Cabernet Franc
was the first in the United States using the traditional blending variety,
Tannat. The result is a wine with a firm structure, ripe fruit and a spicy
finish. 79% Cabernet Franc, 14% Tannat, 7% Merlot
James River Cellars Winery
2015 Chardonnay - A slightly less traditional version of producing chardonnay: it is less
acidic, and more smooth, than most “no oak” versions of the
same. As golden and bright as late morning sunshine, the orange citrus
of the nose may lead to the idea of an inconspicuous juice glass or coffee
mug, to kick start the day.
2016 Petit Manseng - A lighter wine pleases the palate with honey, apricot, and pear flavors,
and has an unexpected lemon zing coming through on the finish. A cheery
vintage, it perfectly compliments a lightly spiced asian dish, due to
the wine’s spicy undertones and balance of alcohol.
2015 Vidal Blanc - This grape, developed in an attempt to create a base for cognac, is
more frequently made as a late harvest ice wine in the Northern U.S..
We produce ours off-dry, which highlights more of the developed maturity;
a slightly more responsible choice.
2013 Monitor v. CSS Virginia - Originally a commemorative label for the American Civil War Sesquicentennial,
“Monitor” has now taken over our Meritage (American Bordeaux-style)
blend, moving forward. This blend is both provocative and approachable,
much like many guilty pleasures in life. Blend: 50% Merlot, 47% Cabernet
Franc, 3% Petit Verdot
2015 Rad Red - A playful, mouth-watering temptation, this blend will leave you thirsting
for more. Some ripe berry flavors here, other earthy or herbaceous flavors
there, this blend is an excellent choice for a multitude for red sauce
pasta dishes, or for game night at the neighbors’. Blend: 50% Chancellor, 35% Cabernet Franc, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon
Wabamin – Niagara grape, National Award Winner
Golden Horse Shoe – Sweet nectar finish
Chambourcin – Semi-dry American grape w/tart finish
Miskwamin – 100% Concord Wine
Odeimin – 100% Strawberry Wine. International and National Award Winner 5 years in a row
Potomac Point Winery
La Belle Vie White - a crisp and refreshing wine that is perfect for sipping on the patio.
We loaded up the varietals to enhance all the fun fruit flavors. This
slightly sweet white boasts hints of honeysuckle and orange peel.
Reserve Chardonnay - Lush ripe pear and peach with buttery tones. Very harmonious and bright,
with perfectly engaged acidity. The finish is silky and pleasing with
a lasting impression of lemon crème
La Belle Vie Rose - Attractive color with a strawberry cream nose. Hints of raspberry, candied
red fruit, and watermelon. A creamy & round texture lead to a refreshing,
Coyote Cave 2014 - Flavors of black cherry and plum with layers of spice. A full mid-palette,
fine tannins, and creamy notes lead to a pleasant finish
Viognier - Perfumed nose of pineapple and light floral notes. It retains great
balance and is vibrant with a well-defined finish.
Abbinato - Intense aromas of cherries, rose petals and dried herbs with hints of
sweet tobacco. Medium bodied wine with silky tannins and a clean refreshing finish.