Spirit of Women
Mary Washington Healthcare is a member of Spirit of Women, a coalition
of hospitals and healthcare providers that ascribe to high standards of
excellence in women’s health, education and community outreach.
What is Spirit of Women?
Spirit of Women hospitals are committed to making good health easier and
to help women and their families take action that results in better health.
Spirit hospitals aspire to the highest standards in women’s health
outreach and clinical care. Spirit hospitals also uphold Seven Standards
for Excellence in Women’s Health that guarantee that the experience
at a Spirit Hospital will be sensitive and customized to individual healthcare needs.
Girls' Night Out
Food | Wine | Shopping | Entertainment
Thursday, October 5, 2017 | 5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
The Old Silk Mill |
1707 Princess Anne Street
| Fredericksburg 22401
Not a Spirit of Women Member? Click
here to learn more or sign up now for a free membership.
Questions about the Spirit of Women may be sent to the MWHC Spirit Coordinator at
What is a Well-Woman Visit?
Though a well-woman visit may vary according to your doctor’s preferences
and your needs, most will be based around three goals:
- Updating your health habits and history
- Providing a physical examination
- Providing counseling and education to help create a set of health goals
tailored to you
Health Habits and History
To get a better understanding of your overall health, your doctor will
ask you questions pertaining to:
- Family health history
- Physical and mental health history
- Diet and exercise habits
- Sexual partners
- Use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
During the physical examination portion of your visit, your healthcare
practitioner will likely:
- Measure your height and weight
- Calculate your BMI (body mass index) to determine if you are at a healthy weight
- Check your blood pressure
- Conduct breast and pelvic exams and a Pap test
Education and Counseling
Your doctor will also discuss any health goals or plans for the future
that you may have, such as:
- Losing weight
- Quitting tobacco use
- Becoming pregnant
- Creating a personalized wellness plan
What About the Cost?
Due to the healthcare reform act known as the Affordable Care Act, well-woman
visits are completely covered under most insurance plans.
Several preventive screenings are also covered, so check your insurance
plan to see what you are qualified for.
Now Get Ready!
To be ready for your yearly well-woman visit:
- Keep track of your personal health record
- Make a list of questions to ask your doctor
- Discuss which screenings you may need
- Schedule any recommended follow-up appointments before you leave
Don’t Wait Until You Get Sick!
See your doctor regularly to help prevent illness and disease instead of
just treating it.
We Can Help
Make an appointment with your primary care physician or OB/GYN today. If
you don't have a PCM,
schedule an appointment with one of our Mary Washington Medical Group physicians.