For Patients and Famillies
At Mary Washington Healthcare Hospice Services we provide care options
for the whole family. We provide support to patients and family members
allowing everyone to be involved at the level where they feel comfortable.
This empowers family members and caregivers as they help and can reduce
feelings of helplessness.
How do we know Hospice Services are needed?
- When family needs professional guidance and support.
- When family becomes overwhelmed by providing daily care for their loved one.
- When treatments cause further discomfort and pain rather than help.
- When the patient wishes to improve quality of life more than cure their disease.
- When symptoms become increasingly tough to manage.
When the following symptoms appear:
- Severe fatigue
- Sustained weight loss
- Trouble with daily personal care
- Struggled breathing or swallowing
- Continual fluid build-up
How do we start the conversation about Hospice Services?
Most hospice patients have less than 6 months to live and these conversations
can be very emotional and difficult. When a patient or family beiieves
it may be time to consult Hospice Services, the first step is to talk
with the patient’s physician, The physician needs to refer the patient
to Mary Washington Healthcare Hospice Services.
For more information please call MWHC Hospice Services at