Mary Washington Healthcare Regional Cancer Center Holistic Cancer Care
Our philosophy is to treat the whole patient, not just their cancer.
Many people talk about battling cancer. It's certainly the fight of
your life and we're your medical army. It's also important to
live with cancer – celebrating every moment and enjoying the highest
quality of life available.
Our specialists use every resource there is to treat the various stages
of cancer so that our patients can enjoy time... to be with family, to
travel, to work... to live. Below are some ways we accomplish this:
- Working with each patient and their family to determine the level of treatment
to fight active cancer
Assigning a personal
Cancer Nurse Navigator to help guide patients through their treatment and recovery process
- Monitoring patients who are cancer free for any recurrence
- Finding therapies that minimize side effects such as anti-nausea medications,
advanced pain management, and massage therapy
Complementary therapies, such as yoga, acupuncture and music therapy, that reduce side effects
or improve overall physical and mental health
- Offering social support including spiritual, emotional and mental health
- Researching new therapies and technologies, including clinical trials
- Consulting with other specialists throughout the country, including VCU
Massey Cancer Center in Richmond, VA
Hosting support groups and tips for coping with cancer
- Networking with other important resources available in the community
A family approach; serving those around you
As a patient, you are family. We also consider your family, our family.
Whether you have a traditional family or your loved ones are made up of
non-relatives, we provide important emotional support so that they may
cope with the impact cancer has on loved ones. This includes spouses,
children, parents, life partners and significant others, and close friends.
We even have a special program so that the family pet can visit during
a hospital stay.