Would You Like to Learn More About Volunteering With Mary Washington Healthcare?
Volunteers at Mary Washington Healthcare (MWHC) make a difference in the lives of our patients and their families every day. Our volunteers are a diverse, compassionate group of individuals who generously give thousands of hours each year with a common goal of supporting the health system in its mission to improve the health of the people in the communities we serve. Volunteers may choose to serve at Mary Washington Hospital, Stafford Hospital, or both!
What Do Volunteers Do?
- Provide compassion and comfort to patients and their families
- Escort patients and visitors to their destinations
- Support staff with non-clinical tasks on nursing units
- Assist staff with general office duties
- Act as a resource to patients, families, guests, and staff.
What Are the Rewards for Volunteering at Mary Washington Healthcare?
|Colleen and Bert, Stroke Connect Volunteers in action.|
- The satisfaction of doing something for others
- The opportunity to share your skills and learn new ones
- Making a difference by serving our community
- The enjoyment of making new friends and having fun!
What are the Requirements to Volunteer?
- Be 18 years or older
- Commit to a minimum of one shift per week for at least six months of continuous service
- Be in good general physical and mental health
- Have no criminal record
- Complete the appropriate volunteer application (links below)
- Interview with a member of the Volunteer Services staff
- Attend a group orientation session
MWHC’s service-based volunteer program helps meet the needs of patients, patient families and staff. It is not a job-training program, an internship, nor does it provide medical shadowing. We do not accept court-ordered placements.
Click on the appropriate link below to learn more and to complete an application.
MWHC Adult Volunteer Program
Volunteering at Mary Washington Healthcare (MWHC) is a wonderful way to serve others in a meaningful manner while enjoying the camaraderie of working with other volunteers and health care professionals. The Adult Volunteer Program promotes exceptional customer service by developing and maintaining an efficient corps of volunteers to deliver an extra dimension of quality care that exceeds the expectations of patients, families, and visitors served.
Qualities of a successful MWHC Volunteer include:
- Sincere interest in helping patients, families, and visitors
- Warmth and empathy towards others
- Willingness to accept and practice hospital policies and procedures
- Promptness and dependability
- Desire to learn and accept supervision
- Professional and positive attitude
- Commitment to maintaining patient dignity and confidentiality at all times.
Volunteers provide needed assistance to clinical and operational staff as well as to our patients and their families. Service areas include but are not limited to:
- Patient Escorts – escorting patients to their destination upon admission and assisting via wheelchair upon discharge
- Way Finders – helping our visitors find their way and providing general information
- Rappahannock Health Connect – assisting patients create a unique log-in and demonstrating the online patient portal (additional training provided)
- Clinical support – providing an extra set of hands to our clinical teams
- Waiting room ambassadors – keeping family members informed on their loved ones’ progress
- Customer service in one of our retail outlets (Gift Shops located within hospital and Mary Washington Shoppe located in the Fredericksburg Shopping Center)
- And many other rewarding experiences.
MWHC College Student Volunteer Program
We are now accepting applications for the 2016 Fall Session. Please click here to apply.
Volunteering at Mary Washington Healthcare (MWHC) is a wonderful way to serve others in a meaningful manner, in addition to becoming exposed to the many career opportunities offered in a health care setting. We appreciate your interest in serving the patients at MWHC and look forward to working with you on your volunteer journey!
What is the Mary Washington Healthcare (MWHC) College Student Volunteer Program?
Student volunteers provide needed assistance to clinical and operational staff as well as to our patients and their families. The College Student Volunteer Program works to make your volunteer experience a valuable asset toward career goals, regardless of what your specific career choice might be. Our various positions offer opportunities for students to explore clinical settings, business operations, and the extremely important role of customer service in a health care environment.*
Upon completion of the program, students will have extensive experience that can be used when applying for jobs, internships and applying to further education.
What opportunities are available?
Once accepted into the program, you will work with MWHC Volunteer Services staff to be placed in a service area based on your availability, interest and current needs of the organization. Here is a list of some of the current volunteer opportunities:
Patient Escorts – escorting patients to their destination upon admission and assisting via wheelchair upon discharge
Way Finders – helping our visitors find their way and providing general information
Clinical support – providing an extra set of hands to our clinical teams
Waiting room ambassadors – keeping family members informed on their loved ones’ progress
Customer service in one of our retail outlets (Gift Shops located within hospital and Mary Washington Shoppe located in the Fredericksburg Shopping Center)
And many other rewarding experiences.
What is the expected commitment?
As a hospital volunteer, you will be expected to complete a minimum of 60 hours per school year. This will amount to approximately three hours per week and can be scheduled to best fit your academic calendar. In addition to the time commitment, volunteers are to be prompt, courteous, and in good attendance each week for the duration of the semester. (You are not expected to work over breaks or holidays but we do ask that you notify staff in advance of these breaks.)
Does it cost anything to be a volunteer?
The only monetary cost is that of the uniform jacket or vest at $20 each. We also require a regular contribution of smiles and compassion.
How does the process work?
The application process serves as a means for selecting the most qualified students for the program. Completed applications will be reviewed and qualified candidates will be called for an individual interview. Candidates who meet all of the requirements will then be invited to attend a mandatory orientation.
For additional information, call Patricia Wolfrey at 540-741-1452.
*MWHC’s College Student Volunteer Program is not meant for the purpose of required clinical hours nor is it a promise for future paid employment at MWHC.
MWHC Summer Junior Volunteer Program
Please note: We are no longer accepting applications for the 2016 Junior Volunteer Program. The application period for 2017 will open in early January 2017 and run through mid-March 2017.
The Junior Volunteer Program strives to introduce local high school students to the diverse career opportunities within Mary Washington Healthcare and to experience the satisfaction from serving others while developing a sense of civic responsibility. To be eligible for our year-round teen program, you must first complete a successful five week session in our Summer Junior Volunteer Program.
- Participation is open to local students genuinely interested in giving excellent service to patients, families, staff and visitors of Mary Washington Healthcare. In keeping with MWHC’s focus on community, preference will be given to students residing in and attending high school in MWHC’s primary service area.
- Junior Volunteers must be between the ages of 14 – 17 as of January 1 and currently attending high school.
- Applicant must have a good scholastic average and acceptable attendance record.
- Junior Volunteers must be available to commit to a two days per week during one of the two five-week summer sessions. If you know in advance that you will be attending summer camp, traveling out of town, or unavailable to fulfill the time requirements, please do not apply.
- Selected applicants MUST attend the mandatory orientation.
Click here to download the Summer Junior Volunteer Packet for Mary Washington Hospital
Click here to download the Summer Junior Volunteer Packet for Stafford Hospital
Please note: Summer Junior Volunteer Program applications are due no later than March 18, 2016. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered. Click the links above to select either Mary Washington Hospital or Stafford Hospital. Due to the popularity of this program and to accommodate the greatest number of students, we ask that you only apply to one hospital.
Mary Washington Hospital Auxiliary and Stafford Hospital Auxiliary are dynamic membership organizations that provide patient and hospital support, fundraising, and community outreach. Each Auxiliary is the largest corps of volunteers serving their respective hospital.
As part of each Auxiliary’s fundraising mission, members staff our onsite gift shops and community-based Mary Washington Shoppe resale store. Proceeds from these retail operations support programs and services within the Mary Washington Healthcare network. Most recently, the MWH Auxiliary pledged $2.5 million toward the Mary Washington Healthcare Regional Cancer.
By funding annual scholarships for eligible applicants, each Auxiliary also encourages students to pursue healthcare careers or continue their education within the healthcare field.
We invite all new adult volunteers to join the Auxiliary. Members receive priority invitations to hospital events and fundraisers, Auxiliary luncheons and social activities, quarterly newsletters, and gain the satisfaction of serving as an essential part of Mary Washington Healthcare.
Mary Washington Hospital Volunteer Newsletter
Stafford Hospital Volunteer Newsletter
- June Edition 2016
- April Edition 2016
- February Edition 2016
- July Edition 2015
- June Edition 2015
- January Edition 2015
We invite you to join us as a volunteer at Mary Washington Healthcare.
For more information, please contact us:
Mary Washington Hospital Volunteer Services Office - (540)741-1440
Stafford Hospital Volunteer Services Office - (540) 741-9660