"The training was excellent. It made a real difference in how I was able to control my diabetes" - JG
The Mary Washington Healthcare's Diabetes Management programs offer\ education and support to individuals who have been referred by a physician after receiving a diagnosis of diabetes.
Our program has been awarded recognition by the American Diabetes Association (ADA). Program educators are all registered nurses and dietitians with expertise in helping patients learn to manage their diabetes.
The program cost is covered by most insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid.
When you are referred to our program, you will:
- Complete a medical history form
- Present an insurance card
- Meet your educator(s)
- Receive an overview of the program
- Learn about the diabetes disease process
- Learn to read food labels
- Receive an individualized meal plan
- Review the basics of blood sugar monitoring
"All the readings and research I've done regarding diabetes was not as infomrative as being able to sit and talk one-on-one. I was made to feel at ease immediately." - PD
We encourage patients to bring another adult to sit in on sessions, especially if the patient is learning-impaired, does not speak English or needs added support.
Your First Appointment
Contact your insurance company prior to your appointment to verify coverage for our service or to ask about pre-authorization or referral requirements. We will bill your insurance company for your diabetes education.
Rember to do the following for your appointment:
- Arrive at least 10 minutes before your scheduled time.
- Eat prior to your appointment.
- Bring the completed Health History form.
- Bring the completed Universal Medication form.
- Bring your insurance card.
- Bring your blood sugar meter and log book if you are currently checking your blood sugars.
- You do not need to buy a meter if you do not already have one. We will help you get a meter.
- Please bring a guest (spouse, friend, family member).
If you want more information about diabetes, please explore our Diabetes Health Center on-line, which includes articles, tips and helpful insights, health quizzes and more.
Kids for a Cure Club - Support group for children with Type 1 Diabetes and their parents
5008 Southpoint Parkway
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
Map and directions
Stafford Medical Pavilion
125 Hospital Center Boulevard, Suite 201
Stafford, VA 22554
Map and directions
MWHC Medical Pavilion - Woodbridge
12731 Marblestone Drive, Suite 102
Woodbridge, VA 22192
Maps and directions
Scheduling (for all locations):
- Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday evening classes are also available.
For more information
For any questions or information regarding support groups and special events, call us at 540.741.2210.
Forms for new patients
- Welcome to the Mary Washington Hospital Diabetes Management Program at Stafford
- Welcome to the Mary Washington Hospital Diabetes Management Program at Massaponax
- Welcome to the MWH Diabetes Management Program at Woodbridge
- Diabetes Health History Record
- Diabetes Health History Record (Pregnant Patients)
- Universal Medication Form