If you believe you qualify for financial assistance, we are here to help.
A financial counseling specialist is available to review your account to determine the level of assistance we can offer. We first determine if you are eligible for financial assistance. If you are ineligible, we will review your account to see if you are eligible for a discount. If you cannot pay the entire amount of the bill, we may set up a plan so you can pay your bill over time.
If you own your own home, you may still be eligible for either financial assistance (free care) or a discount on your bill. Mary Washington Healthcare does not count what your home is worth against you when we review what you are able to pay. We also do not count the first $10,000 you have in cash or in bank accounts.
All of your information is kept confidential and only used to determine whether you are eligible for financial assistance from Mary Washington Healthcare. We never share your information with any other organization.
Do I Qualify for Financial Assistance?
Free care is provided to patients who do not have health insurance and do not have the money to pay their bills. Free care helps families with combined incomes that are at or less than 138% percent of the federal government’s poverty guidelines.
Who qualifies for financial help?
Your care is medically necessary, and one of the following applies to you:
- You do not have health insurance, or
- You have health insurance but you have received a non-covered service, or
- You are not eligible for any government health benefits (for example Medicaid), or
- You cannot pay for care based on a determination of financial need according to MWHC policy.
Free care is provided to patients who do not have health insurance and do not have the money to pay their bills. Free care helps families with combined incomes that are at or less than 138 percent of the federal government’s poverty guidelines.
2016 Federal Poverty Guidelines
Read our brochure to find out who qualifies for financial help, how to apply for it, and other details.
To discuss your eligibility, we encourage you to call one of our financial counselors at 540.741.3555.
What do I do now?
We recognize our role in providing access to medically necessary healthcare services for all persons regardless of their ability to pay or insurance status. Patient Financial Assistance Discounts at Mary Washington Healthcare are available and you may be eligible for help with the self-pay portion of your hospital bill. To see if you qualify, please follow the steps below:
1. If you are uninsured, please contact your local Social Services Department to apply for Medicaid or FAMIS. Contact one of the offices below to find the closest location:
|Fredericksburg: (540) 372-1032||Stafford: (540) 658-8720||Spotsylvania: (540) 507-7898|
|Caroline: (804) 633-5071||King George: (540) 775-7181||Westmoreland: (804) 493-9305|
|Culpeper: (540) 727-0372||Fauquier: (540) 422-8400||Louisa: (540) 967-1320|
|Orange: (540) 672-1155|
2. Print off & complete the cover letter and a Patient Financial Assistance application (carta de presentación y Solicitud de Ayuda Financiera) for all household members within 15 days. In addition to the application, you need to provide copies of the following:
- Proof of Income from all sources, for all household members*, which may include copies of the following:
- 2 most recent pay stubs
- 2 most recent bank statements
- most recent federal tax return
- official statement of disability or unemployment income
- pension/annuity verification
- child or spousal support documentation
- educational assistance (grants, scholarships & employer tuition reimbursement)
- interest, dividends, rents, royalties, income from estates or trusts
- Copies of state or federal assistance program verification (SNAP/food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, TANF, housing assistance, homeless clinic, free/reduced school lunch)
- Copies of medical insurance cards (front and back) if you have coverage
- If you applied and were denied Medicaid, a copy of the denial letter
*If you do not have any of the requested types of Proof of Income; please provide a notarized letter of support demonstrating how you are paying for your living expenses. This letter should be from a family member, friend or organization that is supporting your living needs.
3. Return application and all requested documents to:
Financial Counseling Department
1001 Sam Perry Blvd
Once we receive your application we will determine what programs you are eligible for and send you a letter regarding our decision. If you need help completing the application or if you have questions, call 855-300-4857 or 540-741-2844 Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Mary Washington Healthcare Patient Financial Assistance Discounts are applied to all hospital-based or employed physician charges. Therefore, you may receive separate charges billed from your physicians separately.
MWHC maintains a list of physicians (“Provider List”) of all providers at MWHC delivering Emergency Care or Medically Necessary Services.
The following Physician Groups and their Providers have agreed to provide the same level of financial assistance to patients when the patient meets the MWHC financial assistance criteria for their hospital bill.
- Anesthesia Associates of Virginia
- Fredericksburg Emergency Medical Services
- Fredericksburg Hospitalist Group
- Pathology Associates of Fredericksburg
- Radiology Associates of Fredericksburg
However, Patients will need to contact their respective Physician/ Physician Group and provide a copy of the MWHC Financial Assistance approval letter.